Tomato/Thakkali Thokku is a spicy, tangy Andhra style tomato-based pickle or chutney recipe which can be used as a side dish for steamed rice, idli, dosa and even for roti and chapathi. Tomato Thokku is typically prepared with ripened and juicy tomatoes on Stove top pan or Instant Pot pressure cooker.
What you will need:Measurement: 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 cups ripened & juicy tomato (appx. 4 large tomato)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon methi/fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon split urad dal
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- tamarind extract (from 1 gooseberry size)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon jaggery
How to prepare:
- Dry roast methi (fenugreek) and mustard seeds for 2-3 minutes until methi seeds turn golden brown on medium low flame.
- Turn off the gas, cool completely and blend to a fine powder
- In a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies, hing, garlic and saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, tamarind extract and cook them in a medium flame until moisture from the tomatoes evaporates, taking about 8-10 minutes.Stir in between to avoid masala from sticking into the kadai.
- Once oil starts to separate add red chilli powder, mustard-methi powder, adjust salt if needed and jaggery to the mixture and cook until oil oozes out of the tomato mixture.
- Tomato thokku or tomato pickle is ready. Can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks and without refrigeration for 3-4 days.